- Encounters on Contested Lands: Indigenous Performance of Sovereignty and Nationhood in Quebec, Chicago: Northwestern University Press, 2019.
- “Endurance/ Enduring Performance: Nadia Myre, La Marche Amun, and the Indian Act’s Tumultuous Geographies”, In the Balance: Indigeneity, Performance, Globalization. Eds. Helen Gilbert, J.D. Philipson, Michelle Raheja, (Liverpool: University of Liverpool Press, 2017)
- “‘Dévoiler le désir secret de l’âme’ : théâtre autochtone, guérison et rapatriement. La renaissance des cultures autochtones: enjeux et défis de la reconnaissance. Eds. Jean-François Côté, Claudine Cyr (Québec: Les presses de l’université Laval, 2018)
- Burelle, Julie. “Staging Empathy’s Limit Point: First Nations Theatre and the Challenges of Self-Representation on a Settler-State Stage” in Theatres of Affect; New Essays on Canadian Theatre, Vol. 4, edited by Erin Hurley. Toronto: Playwrights Canada Press, (2014) pdf.
- “Yves Sioui Durand et le théâtre des Premières Nations au Québec,” Revue Liberté, September 2018.
- “Off the Rails at the Autry: What Can Shakespeare tell us about Indian Boarding Schools?” (Theatre Annual: A Journal of Performance Studies, 2016. 1-24) pdf
- “Dee(a)r Spine: Dance, Dramaturgy, and the Repatriation of Indigenous knowledge.” Co-written with Sam Mitchell. Dance Research Journal 1, April 2016 pdf
- “Theatre in Contested Lands: Repatriating Indigenous Remains.” TDR: The Drama Review 59.1 Spring 2015. 97-118 pdf
- “Ondinnok’s Xajoj Tun Rabinal Achi: Re-membering Fragmented Lineages.” in TheatreForum, Spring 2011 issue. 13-23
- “La Crise d’Oka en récits: territoire, cinema et littérature par Isabelle St-Amand” book review for la Revue Recherches Sociographiques, winter 2016
- “It is a Bitter Game I Know, But You Gotta Play It.” TheatreForum, 48. 2015. 7-8 pdf
- “Alethea Arnaquq-Baril’s Angry Inuk and the #sealfie campaign: Rupturing the Excessive Rhetoric of Southern Anti-Sealing Campaigns,” Association for the Study of the Arts of the Present’s annual conference (ASAP), New Orleans, October 2018 (accepted)
- “Rousing Anger: Ktahkomiq and the Arduous Labor of Intra-Mural Reconciliation,” American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR), San Diego, 2018 (accepted)
- “California First Nations Dance Practices,” Congress on Research in Dance’s annual conference (CORD), Pomona CA (November 2016)
- “Repatriation,” The UC Collaboratory for Ethnographic Design’s annual conference. Ethnography & Design: Mutual Provocations, San Diego, (October 2016)
- “Something is Rotten in Kinogamish: Mesnak’s Cinematic Adaptation of Hamlet on a Fictive Rez,” American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA), Cambridge MA (March 2016)
- “Neptune Redux: The (First) Nations(s) enacted in Alexis Martin’s Invention du chauffage central en Nouvelle-France,” Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE), Montreal, Canada, 2015.
- “Nadia Myre’s Indian Act: beading and radical remappings,” American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA), Seattle, 2015
- “Performing/Theorizing Violent Landscapes: Dance, Dramaturgy, and Repatriation of Indigenous Memory,” Co-written with Sam Mitchell. American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR), Baltimore , 2014
- “Endurance/EnduringPerformances: First Nations Women’s Embodied Challenges to Canada’s Indian Act,” In the Balance: Indigeneity, Performance, Globalization Conference, 2013.
- “Cooking Up a Storm: Pots and Pans and Other Playful Protest During Quebec’s Maple Spring,” Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE), Orlando, Florida, 2013.
- “Self-Consuming Body Politic(s): On Colonial Violence and Chief Theresa Spence’s Hunger Strike,” American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA), Toronto, 2013.
- “Reclaiming an Unmarked Body: Representations of Indigenous Trauma in Ondinnok’s Transnational Adaptation of Rabinal Achi,” American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR), Montreal, 2010.
Grants and Awards
- Hellman Fellowship (2017-18)
- UCSD International Institute Faculty Group Grant (Co-PI) (2017-18)
- UCSD Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Distinguished Teaching Award. (2017)
- UCHRI Faculty Working Groups “Indigenous Dance and the Academy” (Co-PI), (2016-2017)
- Faculty Career Development Program (FCDP) Award (2016-2017)
- NCFDD Faculty Success Program, Office of the VCEDI, UCSD, (January-April 2016)
- Excellence Award for New Faculty, Office of the VCEDI, UCSD, (PI) (2015-18)
Teaching & Service
- Assistant Professor, Department of Theatre and Dance, University of California, San Diego.
- Peer Reviewer: Dance Research Journal, Critical Ethnic Studies Journal, Canadian Journal of Film Studies, Canada’s Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.
- Member of the selection panel for the playwriting festival Native Voices at the Autry.
- Managing Editor, Theater Forum Magazine, Spring 2011 Edition